Choosing a cosmetic surgeon can be difficult and it is a choice that you will live with for years and maybe even the rest of your life. A successful procedure will fulfil your wants and needs, make you feel more like yourself and improve your confidence for years to come. However, if you end up in the hands of an inexperienced or less skilled surgeon, there is a significant increase in the chances of you getting poor results which leads to additional costs, time, lower confidence and heartache.
For this reason finding a qualified, experienced and skilled cosmetic surgeon is essential to help you achieve the results you desire and make you feel more like yourself. Read on to find out how to choose the best cosmetic surgeon in Sydney for you.
1. Experience and skill
Experience and skill is essential within any type of surgery and cosmetic surgery is no different. An experienced, skilled cosmetic surgeon will be far more equipped to fulfill your requests and provide an overall far more satisfying experience. So when looking for a cosmetic surgeon, look at the amount of experience they have within cosmetic surgery as this will often be a good indication of the level of skill they have in regards to cosmetic surgery.
Additionally, a cosmetic surgeon may have training and experience within other areas of medicine and surgery which can influence their skill level within cosmetic surgery. A cosmetic surgeon with general and plastic surgery experience will typically be more skilled than a surgeon without experience in these areas.
Additionally, the importance of experience within a specialization is essential in cosmetic surgery. Due to the wide range of types of cosmetic surgery, some surgeons are good at some cosmetic surgeries and not as skilled at other surgeries. This is because each area of cosmetic surgery requires different skills. So when looking for a cosmetic surgeon make sure that they are experienced at the specific procedure you are undergoing.
Things to look and ask for
- How did the surgeon train for this procedure?
- How long has the surgeon been performing this procedure?
- How many times have the surgeon performed this type of procedure?
Everyone knows that what one person may find attractive, others may find unattractive. For this reason it is important that you have a similar aesthetic sensibility to your cosmetic surgeon.
When looking for a cosmetic surgeon, you can’t just trust recommendations from family and friends or just base your decision on the cosmetic surgeon’s experience. You need to take a careful look at the results that the cosmetic surgeon has achieved in previous clients and determine whether you share a similar aesthetic sensibility.
Things to look and ask for
- Firstly, take a look at the surgeon’s previous results for the specific procedure you want to have and determine whether or not the results appeal to you
- Try to look at patients who have similar qualities and traits to you to make a more informed decision. Do the results look similar to what you want to achieve with this procedure?
- For body procedures: Look for patients who have a similar body shape to you. If you tend to carry extra weight around your hips, look at the how the surgeon has helped patients like you and see if you like the results the surgeon has achieved. For body procedures be open to undergoing related body procedures that other patients may have undergone as you find that there may be better results for your problem from another procedure
- For facial procedures: Look for patients who have a similar facial structure to yours, are of a similar age and have similar concerns, whether it be a prominent scar or a sagging neck. If the surgeon deals with these concerns in a way that suits the way you want your concerns to be dealt with, the surgeon will be more likely to be prepared to deal with your concerns in a pleasing way to you.
- For breast procedures: Look for patients who have similar breast and torso shapes. For example, if you have wide shoulders and widely spaced, large, asymmetrical breasts, patients with those qualities like these in before images, will give you a stronger sense of how the cosmetic surgeon has dealt with the issues that they wanted to address with the procedure and how the surgeon tailors a procedure to patients with your concerns and body type.
- Make sure that the cosmetic surgeon has consistent results amongst their patients for the procedure you are considering, as this will make sure that they will be able to replicate these results with your procedure.
3. Emotional Connection
With cosmetic surgery, you are going to be spending a significant amount of time with your cosmetic surgeon both before and after the surgery. Additionally, surgery is a big deal and there can be a few bumps on the path to your new look.
It is of great importance that you feel comfortable with your cosmetic surgeon and their support team as the will improve the results of the surgery as well as making you feel better about yourself. Additionally, trust is important within this relationship as you must trust your cosmetic surgeon to recommend procedures that fulfil your requests while also being safe.
Things to ask yourself
- Do I enjoy spending time with this surgeon?
- Do I feel that I can trust this surgeon to recommend what is safe and right for me?
- Do I feel comfortable asking this surgeon any questions I may have about the procedure throughout the process?
- Do I feel comfortable disclosing my full medical history as well as my habits to this surgeon? (This is important for your safety during the procedure)
4. Safety & the Operating Facility
Safety is of paramount importance when undergoing any type of surgery and cosmetic surgery is no exception. Safety comes in many forms and it is important to be aware of all the safety measures in place before undergoing your procedure. Make sure the operating room meets the standards of safety set by the government or relevant organisations.
Additionally, make sure that the surgeon is qualified as well as having a qualified anesthesiologist or anesthetist.
Things to look and ask for
- Ask the surgeon where they will perform the procedure and check that it meets the set standards of the government or relevant organisations
- Ask about the anesthesiologist or anesthetist qualifications
- Research further about the safety standards in your area to make sure that the surgeon safety procedures are up to standard
5. Customer Service
Throughout the process of your procedure (before, during and after) you want to make sure that you will be treated well and that all your concerns will be addressed, whether it be about safety or questions about different types of procedures. A high level of customer service will allow you to feel more comfortable and will typically lead to better results as you will be able to more clearly discuss what you want with your procedure.
Certain areas of customer service, such as the friendliness of the staff is apparent almost immediately after entering the cosmetic surgeon’s office, however, there are some areas of customer service that do not become apparent so quickly. To help you with determining the level of customer service that you will receive, here are some things to ask and look for.
Things to look and ask for
- Is the staff helpful and friendly?
- Am I provided with helpful material and information that will fully prepare for the procedure?
- Are all fees clearly stated and is the quote all-inclusive?
- How quickly does the practice respond when I contact them?
Dr Wayne Young is one of the best cosmetic surgeons in Sydney, using his extensive training in both plastic and cosmetic surgery to achieve fantastic results. He listens to his patients and develops a wonderful rapport, discovering the changes the want and showing how much he really cares, allowing him to fulfill his goal to “not only make beautiful people, but to make people’s lives beautiful”. This is what sets Dr Young apart from his contemporaries and has allowed him to become one of the best cosmetic surgeons in Sydney.